The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) offered at the Stella Maris International School is internationally recognised and accepted to leading universities around the world. It is a 2-year pre-university programme for students aged 16 to 19, challenging them to excel in their studies thus encouraging both personal and academic achievements. The IB Diploma Programme builds confident and independent thinkers and develops responsible global citizens.
The IB Diploma is a 2-year programme commencing in July. Students who wish to enrol in January are encouraged to consider the SMIS Skills-Based Preparatory Programme in preparation for the IBDP.
The curriculum comprises 3 core elements and 6 subject groups. The core aims to broaden students’ educational experience and challenge them to apply their knowledge and skills.
Core Subjects (Compulsory)
- Theory of knowledge (ToK) – In this course on critical thinking, students reflect on the nature of knowledge and deepen their understanding of knowledge.
- The extended essay (EE) – A 4,000-word independent, self-directed piece of research.
- Creativity, Action, Service (CAS) – Engaging in creative thinking, students complete a project related to the three concepts.
- Studies in language and literature – English Language & Literature
- Language acquisition (Second Language) – Spanish, Mandarin
- Individuals and societies – Business Management, Economics, Psychology, History
- Sciences – Biology, Physics, Chemistry
- Mathematics – Mathematics, Mathematical Studies
- The arts – Environmental Science & Societies (ESS)
Pass the SMIS Assessment tests
May be required to attend an interview
Minimum entry requirement of 5 credits for SPM or IGCSE in accordance with MQA and Ministry of Education’s requirement.